We are building a community of heart-eyed wanderers.
Are you interested in writing, photographing or making with us?
There are a few ways to get involved.
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Lady Latitudes publishes original art, photography, journalism, creative non-fiction, personal essays, reviews, listicles and commentary that fit our theme and mandate, primarily online.
Submissions must be previously unpublished material.
Lady Latitudes welcomes submissions from both emerging and established authors, as well as underrepresented writers, including but not limited to writers who are: Indigenous, of colour, immigrants, women, LGBTQI+, low-income, no-income or writers with disabilities. Please feel welcomed to state demographics such as race, age or gender in your pitch, submission or query.
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
+ For any non-solicited art, photo and illustration submissions:
We are always looking for new art. That could be: graphic design, illustrations, collage or photography about Eastern Canada, its people, places, objects, flora and fauna. Keep in mind: the strange, the beautiful, the wondrous. We want to know about weird news, little-known histories, interesting inventions, obscure delicacies, quirky bed and breakfasts, abandoned amusement parks, the unusual habits of the fauna, folklore, or really, really special people doing amazing things in Eastern Canada. We pay $50 per individual piece but look forward to being able to increase that in the future.
+ For any non-solicited writing pitches or submissions:
You may pitch or submit written work.When these stories are accepted, edited and published, they are paid $100 per published feature, $80 per short article, blog post or personal essay and $50 per review. We look forward to being able to increase those amounts in the future.
Please send your short bio, work samples and pitches or submissions to email@example.com
HOW DO I WRITE A LADY LATITUDES PITCH?
1. Before writing your pitch, be sure to have read the Intentions section on this website to make sure your idea and approach jives. You should also familiarize yourself with some of the stories, blog posts, essays and artwork already published here.
2. Please start your email subject line with the word “PITCH” and be sure to indicate in your email subject line if your story idea is timely or something akin to “breaking news.”
3. In a short email, please describe:
+ The story you would like to tell, explaining why it’s important
+ What makes it a good fit for Lady Latitudes
+ How you will go about researching, reporting, writing or photographing your assignment if approved and published
+ What kind of word count you think it should be
+ If you will take photos to accompany the writing
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
4. Please wait to hear back from us about if the pitch has been accepted before beginning to work on it. If there are interviews or people to talk to in order to complete your story, please do not contact them until after the pitch has been accepted.
5. If your piece is published, you own the copyright to your work — Lady Latitudes only requests first publication rights and the right to publish the piece on this website and social media. You are free to try to sell your piece elsewhere after we publish it.
10. All accepted work is subject to being substantially edited.
11. Payments are made electronically within 10 business days of publication.
12. On rejection. Rejection can be tough some times but please don’t feel discouraged if your pitch is not accepted. Lady Latitudes is looking for very specific content and we would love to see more pitches even if a first one is rejected.
Lady Latitudes will be prioritizing emerging, unpublished, under-published and/or underrepresented voices. We want you to remember it is important to keep trying, keep writing, keep creating. We aim to give as much constructive feedback as possible and make a deliberate point to always be gentle and encouraging during the pitch, editorial and post-publication process.